Well Disinfection Instructions
If your water supply has tested positive for Total Coliform and /or E. Coli Bacteria, follow all the directions below.
1. Start disinfection process using 1 pint of unscented household bleach. Do not use “splashless,” scented, or gel variety. Double the amount of bleach if the water is not clear or the well is over 100 feet deep.
2. Add the chlorine to a 10 gallon bucket and combine with 2-3 gallons of water. Add chlorine/water mix to well and allow it to sit in the well for at least 2 hours or 3 hours for deep wells. Do not use any water during this time.
3. After 2-3 hours remove all aerators from faucets and run ALL household faucets until chlorine odor is noticed. Turn off water. If no chlorine odor is noticed, continue to add chlorine to well until the odor of chlorine is noticed.
4. Allow chlorine solution to remain in well and lines for at least 8 hours, but 12-24 is preferable. Avoid using the water during this time.
5. After the allotted time has passed, run ALL household faucets again until the odor of chlorine disappears. A slight odor will persist for some time. Continue to flush lines with normal use for 7-10 days before re-testing.
To ensure safe drinking water, we suggest that you test your well at least once per year as well as anytime there has been a change in color, odor, taste, or turbidity.
Information taken from NYS Health Department